Friday, September 6, 2013

Back at the end of the last millennium I had the pleasure of giving a talk on my picture book work at the Yeats Festival in Sligo, Ireland. The big headliner for the presenters at the two week event was none other than recently departed master poet Seamus Heaney. I grabbed my sketch book and started drawing him prior to and during his talk. The fellow on the upper part of the left page is Michael Yeats, W.B.'s great grandson. He introduced Seamus. After Seamus' talk everyone, and I mean everyone, hustled over to one of the pub's around the corner where Seamus held court till about 4 a.m.. Somebody grabbed my sketch book and showed it to him. He liked what I'd done so I asked him if he'd sit for a charcoal portrait. Later, during a book signing, he sat for me for a few minutes. I have that sketch somewhere. I'll post it here as soon as I find it. A very nice memory. Pencil, 1999.





No comments:

Post a Comment