Sunday, December 22, 2013

Couple more sketches of Elizabeth Cady Stanton for  "Elizabeth Started All the Trouble", by Doreen Rappaport, illus.d by me and to be publ.d by Disney/Hyperion, 2016. The sketch on the left was made early in the process. While I think it's not a bad drawing, I do see that it's a little generic. In other words, it has all the requirements to look like Elizabeth, just doesn't have her character. For me, achieving character in a drawing requires lots of sketching and re-sketching the subject. Sometimes it happens early on in the process, but most of the time it's just the simple process of looking, application and repetition. This is the most difficult thing for me to get across to students. Somehow, somewhere, somebody developed a really powerful ad campaign that promoted the idea that developing skill in the visual arts is primarily a magical endeavor. It just happens. That has not been my experience of the process. 
Pencil, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment