Tuesday, January 14, 2014

George Takei shares his thoughts on "Gaijin: American Prisoner of War":
     “'Gaijin: American Prisoner of War' is a powerful tale of a boy’s fight for his identity as he is swept up in the madness of war. I know that struggle. I was like that boy, an American imprisoned in a barbed wire prison camp in my own country – except that he was half white and I wasn’t. I looked completely like the people who bombed Pearl Harbor.
     With forceful graphics and intensely moving storytelling, Matt Faulkner transported me to my own childhood memories. I remember those sentry towers with guns pointed at us; I remember the searchlights that followed me at night; the crowded barracks lined up like soldiers at attention. And I also remember the comfort I found in my mother’s love. Just like him.
      This is a story still too little known and even less understood. It is a dark but vitally important story with a critical lesson for our American democracy. Matt Faulkner tells his tale with fierce graphics and moving delicacy."
George Takei


No comments:

Post a Comment