Tuesday, November 27, 2012

This is a preliminary double-page sketch for "Gaijin-American Prisoner of War", a graphic novel written and illus.d by me, to be publ.d by Disney/Hyperion- April, 2014. The book covers the story of Japanese/Irish American Koji and his Irish American mother, Adeline, as they are sent to a prison camp outside of San Francisco during World War 2. This art was part of the package put together back in 2008 and 2009 to sell the idea to a publisher. At that time I was shooting for a 92 page book and sketched about 40 pages of the book.  I went through three different re-draws of this same level prior to Disney winning the bidding war on the project. Woot Disney! Since signing the contract for the book in 2009 I've re-written/re-drawn the book in varying levels of detail 3 more times. In the process, "Gaijin" has become a 148 page book. I am now working toward finishing the final art for a January 2013 deadline. Wish me luck! Pencil, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment